Jan 22, 2011

Gurney Plaza shopping mall, Penang


Gurney Plaza shopping mall [homepage] in Penang is the shopping mall I used to frequent in 2007, when I lived here for few months. It's not the biggest mall in Penang, but it's definitely one of the classiest. Located in Gurney Drive, one of the best parts of George Town (or commonly Penang), it attracts many locals and tourists every day. There are food courts and classy restaurants, cool bars and a big cineplex in and around the mall. I used to go here almost every day, because my ex girlfriend used to work here and also, because it was 5min away from the apartment I used to live in. It's definitely my favorite mall in Penang. Let's see some photo:

This is the main entrance of the mall. People usually meet here.

The first floor and the way to the basement. There's a food court and a grocery store.

Ground floor seen from the 1st floor. This space is used for special promotions. I remember they used to grind ginseng roots here, which covered the whole area with a strong smell.

The basement floor, shops and grocery store chain "The fresh food people".

The cineplex on the top floor. I remember watching movies here, especially on Wednesday's, when a ticket only cost 6 ringgit (That was less than 1.5eur in 2007). Awesome!

The view down from the top floor.

The backside of Gurney Plaza was at that time a construction site.

A new wing of the mall was completed in 2008, but I never had the chance to see it, because that stay in 2007 was the only time I went to Penang. I really hope I can visit Penang again and go to Gurney Plaza, because I have many good memories connected with this mall. I'd love to see a movie there again.

No comments:

Post a Comment