Feb 3, 2011

Wong Tai Sin Temple, Hong Kong


Wong Tai Sim Temple (黃大仙祠, established 1921, source) is a famous temple in Hong Kong. It's located right next to Wong Tai Sin MTR Station (Green line, Exit B2). Since we had the Octopus card that was valid for unlimited rides for another day, I suggested to make a tour starting from Mong Kok and going to Eastern Kowloon and back on the Hong Kong Island to the Central area and stop at certain stations and look around. This big Taoist temple was our first stop. Let me show you my photos:

It was right around Chinese new year.

The temple is surrounded by a residential area.

A lot of people came to pray that day, it was impressive.

The smell of incense was very strong and the smoke was everywhere.

People had to walk a certain route, because there were just too many of them.

Leaving was easier, the crowds were less.


This is the bird's view of the temple. For more view larger map.

I definitely recommend this temple to every Hong Kong traveler. You'll get a good idea, how common people live and worship. Going to the temple is their culture and you surely shouldn't miss that.

My Hong Kong 2009 tour - NEXT: Chi Lin Nunnery>>

[My HONG KONG page][My PR China page][All photos by MKL, 2009]

No comments:

Post a Comment